Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Blog Post 1- What About EDM310?

  Thus far, their are many things I have learned about EDM310. I have learned how to succeed. For example, time management is vital to the success of this class. Not only do things need to be turned in on time, but effort and hard work is required in all projects and tasks assigned. Also, from reading Dr. Strange's articles and watching his videos, I have learned how not to succeed. Dr. Strange has clearly stated in person, throughout his documents, and also in his videos, that this is simply a class where we, the students, are being trained to be professionals, meaning we should act as such.

  I cannot lie and say that I haven't heard that EDM310 is a hard and very demanding class. Of course I have some nerves approaching the class, but I consider time management to be one of my strong points, so I am confident in my abilities to complete my work on time. EDM310 is certainly different than any class I have ever had before for many reasons. The grading is done differently, which I find refreshing. It is very different from high school and most of my college classes due to the independent learning style. Also, I have never been in a class which had so much emphasis on project based learning, but I am looking forward to that aspect of the class as well.

  The thing, I presume, I will struggle with the most in EDM310 is being immersed in a new learning style. In a document Dr. Strange states it is okay to not understand everything at first, and you must take it upon yourself to learn on your own. This is not a bad thing by any means, it is just vastly different than any form of learning I have done in a class setting before, so that aspect may perhaps be a struggle. I believe the best way to approach this struggle would be to be ahead of the game when it comes to my work. It will be helpful to attend the open lab sessions as well as ask for help when it needed, versus giving up because I simply don't understand something. The only question I have thus far is if we are allowed to work ahead of time. For example, "Blog Post #2" is not due until next week, but I don't know if it is allowed or even advised to try to get ahead. Dr. Strange has made himself available to his students through email, twitter, almost any form of social media if we have questions. Also, we the students have access to one another through our blogs, so if it is a simple question,that perhaps one of your peers can answer, you may ask them as well. EDM310

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely work ahead. Even if I change the assignment I will honor the one you did ahead of time! Yes, ask your peers. they are often excellent sources of help and information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit this is very new to me and this class scares me. I agree with working ahead. That is my plan too. Good luck Logan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very nervous about this class but I too plan on working ahead to stay on track. Good luck with your blogging !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butterflies....Logan, you are interesting in your blog! You are very correct, when you mentioned finding your "own learning style". This is something I am experiencing to be a challenge. However, I have taken advantage of the computer labs. It have taken the Edge, off the Iceberg a little. Still a little chilly, but if we stick together and motivate one another we can take away the nervousness. Strong will and determination will make you fantastic. I have will say, take the opportunities that are here and explore the methods of teaching. Logan, I wish you the best in your new endeavor. What techniques have your absorbed differently, now that EDM310 has started, to get you on your way?

    ReplyDelete